Recipe submitted by nutrition trainees
- 1 kg skinless salmon fillet
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- Pinch black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 160 ml (⅔ cup) breadcrumbs (Homemade whole wheat breadcrumbs recipe)
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 60 ml (¼ cup) 0% Greek-style yoghurt
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) mayonnaise (Homemade mayonnaise recipe)
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) Sambal Oelek chili paste (hot sauce)
- Baking sheet
- Large bowl
- Ice cream scoop
- Non-stick skillet
- Place rack in the centre of the oven and preheat to 400°F (200°C).
- Place salmon on a baking sheet. Oil and season.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until fully cooked. Thickness of fillet will affect baking time. Transfer from oven to a plate.
- Break fillet into large pieces to cool.
- Place salmon pieces, breadcrumbs, eggs, egg whites, yoghurt, mayonnaise, and Sambal Oelek in a large bowl.
- Stir until salmon is completely broken up. Season to taste.
- Using an ice cream scoop with a capacity of around 80 ml (⅓ cup), divide and shape mixture to make 8 patties of equal size.
- Heat half the oil in a large, non-stick skillet. Fry patties 4 at a time, pressing down lightly with a fork to flatten. Turn to brown both sides. Repeat for remaining patties.
- Serve salmon patties in hamburger buns for something a little different. Garnish with mayonnaise or tarragon yoghurt.