- 250 ml (1 cup) reduced-salt canned white kidney beans
- 60 ml (¼ cup) tap water
- 410 ml (1 ⅔ cup) whole wheat flour
- 125 ml (½ cup) quick cook oats
- 7.5 ml (1 ½ tsp) baking powder
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) baking soda
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) salt
- 250 ml (1 cup) frozen cranberries, chopped fine
- 1 large egg
- 60 ml (¼ cup) canola oil
- 180 ml (¾ cup) orange juice from concentrate, no sugar added
- 180 ml (¾ cup) sugar
- 10 ml (2 tsp) orange zest
- 2 muffin tins
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Ice cream scoop
Making the white kidney bean paste
- Place beans in a small blender with water and blend.
- If paste is not smooth, add 15 ml (3 tsp) water.
- Set aside 25 ml (5 tsp) of white kidney bean paste for the recipe. Freeze the rest.
Making the muffins
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) with rack in middle position.
- Lightly grease muffin tins and dust with whole wheat flour. Set aside.
- Place flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Add cranberries and stir to coat thoroughly. Set aside.
- Place oil, bean paste, orange juice, and sugar in a medium bowl and beat with a whisk.
- Add orange zest. Stir.
- Gradually stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients using a wooden spoon. Do not over stir.
- Divide mixture into 17 regular-sized muffin cups using an ice cream scoop.
- Bake 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out completely clean.
- Remove from oven and place on rack to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Pop muffins out of tins and enjoy!