- 500 ml (2 cups) butternut squash
- ½ onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) butter
- 375 ml (1 ½ cups) milk
- 625 ml (2 ½ cups) macaroni, uncooked
- 250 ml (1 cup) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Pinch of paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 160 ml (⅔ cup) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) breadcrumbs (Panko or regular dried)
- 2 pots
- Food processor
- Place rack in upper part of oven. Preheat to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut squash into roughly 3 cm cubes and chop onions and garlic.
- Melt butter in a pot over medium heat and sauté squash, onions and garlic.
- Add milk and simmer 15 minutes or until squash is tender.
- While squash is simmering, cook macaroni according to package directions in another pot.
- Place contents of pot with squash into a food processor.
- Add cheese, paprika, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Add sauce to drained macaroni and serve.
- Sprinkle grated cheese and breadcrumbs over Mac & Cheese.
- Bake about 10 minutes.
- Use cauliflower instead of squash for an Alfredo-style sauce.
- For a protein boost, add a 150 g package of regular silken tofu to the mixture before blending in the food processor.
- Pumpkin or any other squash can be used instead of pumpkin squash.
Did you know…
- For very inexpensive breadcrumbs, crumble toast over Mac & Cheese (Whole wheat bread crumbs).