- 250 ml (1 cup) sweet potato
- ½ can of 540 ml white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 eggs
- 125 ml (½ cup) sugar
- 60 ml (¼ cup) canola oil
- 2 ml (½ tsp.) nutmeg, ground
- 2 ml (½ tsp.) cinnamon, ground
- 0.5 ml (1/8 tsp.) cloves, ground
- 625 ml (2 ½ cups) all-purpose flour
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) baking powder
Recipe and photo are the result of a partnership project between Extenso and ITHQ to review food offerings and practices in Quebec childcare centers, Nos petits mangeurs.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F) and place rack in the middle of the oven.
- Prick sweet potatoes with a fork. Bake in a large dish for 7 to 10 minutes on maximum. Half way through cooking, turn the potatoes over. Cool, empty flesh, and set aside.
- In a food processor, puree the white kidney beans. Add sweet potato and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar. Incorporate the oil and the bean and sweet potato puree. Mix until a homogenous mixture is obtained.
- In another bowl, combine spices, flour, and baking powder.
- Incorporate dry ingredients into moist ingredients using a spatula, mixing only until combined.
- Grease bread pans and pour mix into them.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a rack, then cut the loaf into 12 slices.