- 250 ml (1 cup) eggplant, peeled, cooked, and pureed*
- 180 ml (¾ cup) cocoa powder
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) baking soda
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) non-hydrogenated margarine
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) boiling water
- 310 ml (1 ¼ cup) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 5 ml (1 tsp) orange essence
- 5 ml (1 tsp) orange zest
- 330 ml (1 ⅓ cup) whole wheat flour
- 1 ml (¼ tsp) salt
- 125 ml (½ cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Food processor
- 2 square baking pans, 8-inch (20 cm)
- Wooden spoon
- Large bowl
*Making the eggplant pureed
- Peel and dice the equivalent of 1 cup of raw eggplant.
- Place in a pan with some water. Cook eggplant over low heat, covered, for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Cool and puree with a food processor. Set aside.
Making the brownies
- Place rack in the centre of the oven and preheat to 350°F (180°C).
- Grease two 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pans. Set aside.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir cocoa and baking powder together in a large bowl. Stir in half (40 ml) the margarine. Add boiling water and stir until mixture thickens.
- Add sugar, eggs, remaining margarine, eggplant paste, vanilla extract, orange essence, and orange zest. Stir until smooth.
- Add flour and salt and stir until well combined. Do not over stir. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide equally into baking pans. Bake for 25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Do not overcook. The centre will still be moist.
- Cool on a wire rack before removing from pan.