- 250 ml (1 cup) 2% party skimmed milk
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) canola oil
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) applesauce, unsweetened
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) brown sugar, packed
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) lemon zest
- 250 ml (1 cup) raisins
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) cranberries, dried
- 430 ml (1 3/4 cups) whole wheat flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) rolled oats, slow-cook
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) baking powder
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp.) table salt
Recipe and photo are the result of a partnership project between Extenso and ITHQ to review food offerings and practices in Quebec childcare centers, Nos petits mangeurs.
- Position oven rack as high up as possible. Preheat conventional oven to 180°C (350°F). Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, oil, applesauce, brown sugar, and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In a food processor, chop raisins and cranberries with a bit of flour (125 ml / ½ cup). Pour into a large bowl and add the rest of the flour, rolled oats, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Gradually incorporate moist ingredients into dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Using a 30 ml ice cream scoop, form balls of dough and drop them, evenly spaced, onto the baking sheets. Leave enough space between the cookies so they don’t touch during cooking (about 6 per sheet).
- Cover cookies with parchment paper and flatten with another baking sheet or rolling pin until they are about 2 cm thick.
- Bake in a conventional oven for about 15 minutes or until cookies turn golden brown.
Double the recipe and freeze the rest.
Replace part or all of the cranberries and raisins with dried fruit of your choice (apricots, dates, etc.)
Replace lemon zest with orange zest.