- 180 ml (¾ cup) whole wheat flour
- 375 ml (1½ cup) oat flakes
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) ground flaxseed
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 180 ml (¾ cup) non-hydrogenated margarine, softened
- 750 ml (3 cups) fresh strawberries slices
- 250 ml (1 cup) cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 125 ml (½ cup) sugar
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) cornstarch (diluted in a bit of water)
- Square pan
- Medium bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) and place rack in the middle of the oven.
- Grease a 20 cm (8″) square pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the first five ingredients.
- Add the margarine and mix well until lumpy using a wooden spoon. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring to a boil 250 ml (1 cup) of strawberries with the cranberries and sugar. Add 15 to 30 ml water, as needed.
- Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until the mix has thickened into a compote-like texture.
- Add diluted cornstarch and mix well. The compote will continue to thicken.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add the rest of the strawberries. Stir until well coated.
- Press half of the crust mix into the pan. Add the strawberry filling and top with the rest of the crust mix.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.