- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) quick cook oats
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) canola oil
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) brown sugar, loose
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) ground linseed
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) cinnamon
- 310 ml (1 ¼ cup) whole wheat flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) wheat bran
- 60 ml (¼ cup) canned pears in light syrup, drained and pureed
- 125 ml (½ cup) brown sugar, loose
- 60 ml (¼ cup) canola oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) milk (1%)
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 250 ml (1 cup) canned pears in light syrup, drained and diced
- 2 large bowls
- Wooden spoon
- 2 muffin tins
- Small bowl
- Medium bowl
Making the granola
- Stir all granola ingredients in a large bowl using a wooden spoon. Set aside.
Making the muffins
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) with rack in middle position.
- Grease two muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, stir flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir wheat bran and pear sauce*. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir brown sugar, oil, eggs, milk, and vanilla extract using a wooden spoon.
- Pour wet ingredients and pear mixture over dry ingredients.
- Stir wet and dry ingredients until thoroughly blended.
- Stir in diced pear.
- Divide batter into muffin cups and sprinkle each cup with 5 ml (1 tsp) granola. Lightly push granola into batter.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted centre of muffin comes out clean.
- Cool on rack 5 minutes before removing muffins from tins.
- * For a great pear sauce, simply blend 2 or 3 canned pear halves in a blender until smooth. No need to add water.