Recipe submitted by Frédérike Audet, Marie-Ève Desrosiers, Mélia Grégoire-Poirier and Frédérique Massie, nutrition trainees
- 410 ml (1 ⅔ cup) whole wheat flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) baking soda
- 1 ml (¼ tsp) salt
- 160 ml (⅔ cup) dried dates, diced small
- 60 ml (¼ cup) dry oat bran
- 60 ml (¼ cup) milk (1%)
- 125 ml (½ cup) sugar
- 60ml (¼ cup) soft non-hydrogenated margarine
- 2 large eggs
- 60 ml (¼ cup) plain yoghurt (2%)
- 5 ml (1 tsp) artificial vanilla extract
- 230 ml (1 can) canned pears drained and diced small
- 2 muffin tins
- 2 large bowls
- Wooden spoon
- Small bowl
- Electric mixer
- Place rack in upper part of oven. Preheat to 375°F (190°C).
- Grease two muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, stir flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and dates using a wooden spoon.
- Soak oat bran in milk in a small bowl.
- In a second large bowl, beat sugar and margarine using an electric mixer for 30 seconds.
- Add eggs and beat for another 30 seconds.
- Still using an electric mixer, stir in yoghurt and vanilla.
- Stir in pears and soaked bran using a wooden spoon.
- Make a well in centre of dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients.
- Stir lightly using a wooden spoon to combine.
- Fill mixture into muffin cups.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre of muffin comes out clean.