- 160 ml (⅔ cup) all-purpose flour
- 160 ml (⅔ cup) whole wheat flour
- 310 ml (1 ¼ cup) quick cook oats
- 60 ml (¼ cup) brown sugar, packed
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) baking soda
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk (2%)
- 5 ml (1 tsp) white vinegar
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) canola oil
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 60 ml (¼ cup) dried dates
- 1 orange zest
- Muffin tin
- 2 large bowls
- Wooden spoon
- Ice cream scoop
- Recipe and photos created through a partnership between Extenso and ITHQ as part of the project entitled “Offre et pratiques alimentaires revues dans des services de garde du Québec, Nos petits mangeurs.”
- Place rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Grease muffin tin. Set aside.
- Combine flours, oats, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, stir milk, vinegar, oil, egg and applesauce. Set aside.
- Place dates and orange zest in a blender and blend to create a paste.
- Stir pureed dates and zest into wet ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth. Do not over stir.
- Divide dough into cups of a muffin tin using a 60 ml (¼ cup) ice cream scoop.
- Bake 25 minutes or until muffins turn golden on top.
- Remove muffins from tin and cool on rack.
- Simmer the dates for a few minutes in a little orange juice or water to soften before blending them in the blender.