- 310 ml (1 ¼ cup) whole wheat flour
- 310 ml (1 ¼ cup) rolled oats
- 10 ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- 2,5 ml (½ tsp) baking soda
- 2,5 ml (½ tsp) salt
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) milk chocolate chips
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) soft non-hydrogenated margarine, melted
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) unsweetened applesauce
- 125 ml (½ cup) brown sugar
- 125 ml (½ cup) milk
- 2 eggs
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) vanilla extract
- 125 ml (½ cup) frozen blueberries
- 2 muffin tins
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl
- Electric mixer
- Wooden spoon
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C) with rack in middle position.
- Grease two muffin tins. Set aside.
- Place flour, oat flakes, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips in a large bowl and stir with a fork. Set aside.
- Beat margarine, applesauce, brown sugar, milk, eggs, and vanilla in a medium bowl using an electric mixer.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients. Stir using a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Toss blueberries with flour to coat and add to bowl. Stir lightly until combined. Work quickly so blueberries remain frozen.
- Divide mixture into muffin cups.
- Bake 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 375°F (190°C) and bake another 12 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Do not overcook.
- Allow muffins to rest before serving and enjoy!