- 250 ml (1 cup) milk (1%)
- 60 ml (¼ cup) vanilla yoghurt (9%)
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) white vinegar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking soda
- 250 ml (1 cup) whole wheat flour
- 180 ml (¾ cup) all-purpose flour
- 180 ml (¾ cup) oat bran
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) ground linseed
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) salt
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 160 ml (⅔ cup) sugar
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) soft non-hydrogenated margarine
- 2 large eggs
- 250 ml (1 cup) dried sweetened cranberries
- 125 ml (½ cup) carrots, grated fine
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) orange zest
- 2 muffin tins
- 2 medium bowls
- Wooden spoon
- Large bowl
- Electric mixer
- Ice cream scoop
- Inspired by : Canadian Goodness (undated) Oat Bran Carrot and Orange Muffins.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) with rack in middle position.
- Grease 2 muffin tins and dust with all-purpose flour.
- In a medium bowl, stir milk, yoghurt, vinegar, and baking soda with a wooden spoon. Set aside.
- In a second medium bowl, stir dry ingredients (flours, linseed, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and margarine using an electric mixer until creamed.
- Stir eggs into creamed sugar and margarine one at a time using a wooden spoon.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to large bowl containing sugar, margarine, and eggs, alternating with wet ingredients. Stir using a wooden spoon.
- In the same large bowl, add dried cranberries, grated carrots, and orange zest and stir. Do not over stir to avoid creating gluten.
- Divide batter into muffin tins in 20 equal portions using an ice cream scoop.
- Bake 15 minutes or insert a toothpick into centre of a muffin. Muffins are ready if toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool to room temperature before removing from tins.