- 500 ml (2 cups) frozen raspberries, thawed
- 10 ml (2 tsp) water
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) chia seeds
- 250 ml (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 250 ml (1 cup) whole wheat flour
- 250 ml (1 cup) brown sugar, loose
- 7.5 ml (1 ½ tsp) baking powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking soda
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) salt
- 250 ml (1 cup) quick cook oats
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) canola oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 310 ml (1 ¼ cup) buttermilk (2%)
- 22.5 ml (1 ½ Tbsp) lemon juice
- 60 ml (¼ cup) unsweetened berry sauce
- 2 muffin tins
- Medium bowl
- 2 large bowls
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) with rack in centre position.
- Lightly grease two muffin tins. Set aside.
- Mash raspberries in a medium bowl using a fork.
- Add water and chia seeds.
- Stir to combine and refrigerate for 20 minutes. This mixture will be the filling.
- In a large bowl, stir flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add oats and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat eggs, oil and vanilla using a whisk.
- Add buttermilk, lemon juice, and berry sauce and stir.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients. Stir until smooth, being careful not to over stir.
- Divide half of mixture into 20 muffin cups.
- Place 10 ml (2 tsp) of filling in centre of each muffin cup, then cover with remaining mixture.
- Bake 15 minutes or until tops of muffins are slightly firm to the touch.
- Cool 5 minutes. Remove from muffins from tins and place on rack until completely cool.
- Buttermilk can be substituted by placing 30 ml (2 Tbsp) of vinegar in a cup and adding milk to a total volume of 310 ml (1 ¼ cup).