- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) olive oil
- 1–2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ml (½ tsp.) oregano, dried
- Salt and pepper
- 750 ml (3 cups) whole wheat country-style bread cubes (± 1 inch)
- 270 ml (½ can) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 200 g (1 tub) bocconcini, drained
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 4 Roma tomatoes, cubed (± 1 inch)
- 60 ml (¼ cup) fresh basil, loosely chopped
- To taste: 15–30 ml (1-2 tbsp.) balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F).
- In a large bowl, blend oil, garlic, and dried oregano.
- Add bread cubes and toss well.
- Place bread cubes on a parchment paper–lined baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, turn croutons, and continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
- While croutons are baking, put white kidney beans, bocconcini, and green onion into a bowl.
- Add cubed tomatoes, basil, and croutons, and toss lightly.
To keep croutons crunchy, store them in a sealed container overnight and add them to salads the next morning.