- 160 ml (⅔ cup) dried pitted dates, chopped
- 90 ml (6 Tbsp) water
- 5 ml (1 tsp) bottled lemon juice
- 90 ml (6 Tbsp) canned mashed pumpkin
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) canned white beans, drained and rinsed
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) water
- 60 ml (¼ cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 60 ml (¼ cup) non-hydrogenated vegetable margarine
- 180 ml (¾ cup) brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 410 ml (1 ⅔ cup) all-purpose flour
- 125 ml (½ cup) whole wheat flour
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) ground flax seed
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking soda
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) ground nutmeg
- 1 ml (¼ tsp) salt
- Small pot
- Wooden spoon
- Electric mixer
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl
- Parchment paper
- Rolling pin
- 2 baking sheets
Making the date paste
- Bring dates, water, and lemon juice to a boil in a small pot.
- Simmer over medium heat, stirring regularly with a wooden spoon 5 minutes or until smooth.
- Stir pumpkin into dates. Stir and set aside.
Making the cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) with rack in top part of oven (2nd position from the top).
- Place beans and water in a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Cream margarine and brown sugar in a large bowl for 30 seconds using an electric mixer.
- Add eggs and vanilla and continue to beat until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Stir flours, ground flax seed, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, gradually stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until smooth.
- Add the white bean paste. Beat again.
- Place dough between 2 large sheets (~ 40×40 cm) of parchment paper.
- With a rolling pin, shape dough into rectangle 5 mm thick. Remove top parchment paper.
- Spread date mixture evenly over flattened dough and roll dough lengthwise tightly. Wrap roll in parchment paper and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Remove roll from refrigerator and trim 2 cm of dough from each end. Slice into rounds 1 cm thick using a bread knife.
- Arrange rounds 3 cm apart on 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle of cookies comes out clean. Cookies should be lightly golden on top.
- Remove from oven and place cookies on cooling rack for 10 minutes before serving.