- 180 ml (¾ cup) all-purpose flour
- 180 ml (¾ cup) whole wheat flour
- 330 ml (1 1/3 cups) rolled oats, quick-cook
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) brown sugar, packed
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) baking powder
- 3 ml (½ tsp.) baking soda
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) chocolate chips
- 250 ml (1 cup) 2% milk
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) white vinegar
- 60 ml (¼ cup) canola oil
- 1 egg
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) applesauce, unsweetened
- 180 ml (¾ cup) pears, peeled and diced
- Non-stick vegetable oil spray
Recipe and photo are the result of a partnership project between Extenso and ITHQ to review food offerings and practices in Quebec childcare centers, Nos petits mangeurs.
- Position rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat conventional oven to 190°C (375°F). Spray muffin tray with vegetable oil spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine milk, vinegar, oil, egg, applesauce, and pears.
- Add moist ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon only until combined.
- Using a 60 ml ice cream scoop, drop the dough into the muffin tray.
- Bake conventional oven for about 25 minutes or until muffins turn golden brown.
- Remove muffins from tray and allow to cool on a wire rack.
Replace canned pears with fresh peeled pears.