- 270 ml (½ can) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 125 ml (½ cup) cocoa powder
- 125 ml (½ cup) unsweetened apple sauce
- 60 ml (¼ cup) water
- 60 g (2 oz) semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) whole wheat flour
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) oat bran
- 4 eggs
- 60 ml (¼ cup) canola oil
- 180 ml (¾ cup) sugar
- 10 ml (2 tsp) vanilla extract
- Square mould 20 cm
- Food processor
- Microwave or double boiler
- 2 large bowls
- Wooden spoon
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and place the rack in the middle of the oven.
- Grease a 20 cm (8″) square pan and dust with flour. Set aside.
- In a food processor, puree kidney beans.
- Dilute cocoa powder in the water and add to apple sauce.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a double boiler.
- Add this apple sauce mixture and melted chocolate to the bean puree and stir well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and bran. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat eggs with the oil, sugar, and vanilla using a whisk.
- Incorporate chocolate and bean mix. Stir well.
- Add mix to dry ingredients using a wooden spoon. Stir well.
- Pour mix into the pan and cook for about 45 minutes or until the middle has set.
- Bean puree can also be made with a fork.