- 250 ml (1 cup) quick-cook oats
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk
- 1 egg
- 60 ml (¼ cup) margarine
- 250 ml (1 cup) whole wheat flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) baking powder
- 2 ml (½ tsp.) baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 175 ml (¾ cup) brown sugar
- 250 ml (1 cup) berries (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries), fresh or frozen
- Place the rack in the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Grease a muffin pan.
- In a bowl, mix together oats and milk. Add the egg and margarine. Blend well.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add brown sugar.
- Add this dry ingredient mix and the fruit to the oat mix.
- Spoon the dough into the muffin pan.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from pan and allow to cool on a rack.
Take advantage of the weekends to bake homemade cookies or muffins you can freeze in individual serving sizes for snacks in the week ahead.