- 175 ml (¾ cup) whole wheat flour
- 2 ml (½ tsp.) baking powder
- 1 ml (¼ tsp.) baking soda
- 1 ml (¼ tsp.) salt
- 175 ml (¾ cup) quick-cook oats
- 125 ml (½ cup) unsweetened coconut
- 125 ml (½ cup) brown sugar
- 60 ml (¼ cup) margarine
- 60 ml (¼ cup) unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 ml (½ tsp.) vanilla extract
- 1 apple, unpeeled, cut into 1 cm (½ inch) chunks
- Place the rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Grease two cookie sheets.
- Mix the first 6 ingredients together in a bowl.
- In another bowl, stir together brown sugar, margarine, and apple sauce, using a wooden spoon. Add the egg and vanilla.
- Incorporate the dry ingredients and apple chunks.
- Using an ice cream scoop (approx. 45 ml or 3 tbsp.), place about 12 balls of cookie dough on the baking sheet, leaving space between them. Flatten the balls slightly with a fork.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Allow to cool on a rack.
Take advantage of the weekends to bake homemade cookies or muffins you can freeze in individual serving sizes for snacks in the week ahead.