- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) non-hydrogenated margarine
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) brown sugar
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) quick cook oats
- 20 ml (4 tsp) all-purpose flour
- 7.5 ml (1 ½ tsp) ground linseed
- 5 ml (1 tsp) whole linseeds
- 500 ml (2 cups) whole wheat flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 1 ml (¼ tsp) baking soda
- 7.5 ml (1 ½ tsp) cinnamon
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) non-hydrogenated margarine
- 125 ml (½ cup) plain yoghurt (2%)
- 125 ml (½ cup) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) vanilla extract
- 125 ml (½ cup) skim milk (1%)
- 250 ml (1 cup) McIntosh apple, unpeeled, diced
- 250 ml (1 cup) grated carrot
- 2 medium bowls
- Electric mixer
- Wooden spoon
- 2 muffin tins
- Large bol
Making the filling
- In a medium bowl, cream margarine and brown sugar using an electric mixer for 30 seconds.
- Add oats, all-purpose flour and linseed.
- Stir with a wooden spoon. Set aside.
Making the muffins
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) with rack in second position from the top.
- Grease 2 muffin tins. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, combine whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat margarine, yoghurt and sugar using an electric mixer for 30 seconds.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients, alternating with milk, until smooth.
- Add diced apple and grated carrot. Stir to fully coat apple and carrot pieces.
- Divide batter into 14 muffin cups.
- Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre of muffin comes out clean.
- Place on rack to cool 10 minutes. Serve warm.