- 180 ml (¾ cup) all-purpose flour
- 125 ml (½ cup) whole wheat flour
- 125 ml (½ cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 1 ml (¼ tsp) salt
- 375 ml (1 ½ cup) quick cook oats
- 125 ml (½ cup) non-hydrogenated margarine
- 160 ml (⅔ cup) unsweetened applesauce
- 330 ml (1 ⅓ cup) brown sugar, packed
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) granulated sugar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 5 ml (1 tsp) lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 125 ml (½ cup) zucchini, finely grated
- 3 baking sheets
- 2 large bowls
- Wooden spoon
- Electric mixer
- Ice cream scoop
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and place rack in middle position.
- Lightly grease 3 baking sheets. Set aside.
- Sift all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Sift until only the bran and germ are left in the sieve, then add them into the mix.
- Add oats to dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon. Set aside.
- Place margarine, applesauce, brown sugar, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice in a second large bowl.
- Beat liquid ingredients together with an electric mixer on medium speed for around 1 minute until fairly smooth. Scrape down sides of bowl with a spatula if necessary.
- Add eggs to wet ingredients and beat with mixer for about 30 seconds.
- Add zucchini and beat for another 30 seconds until well blended. Scrape down sides of bowl with a spatula if necessary to ensure all ingredients are well blended.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients 1 cup at a time and combine using a spatula. Use fold-in method to avoid over-stirring.
- Using an ice cream scoop, divide mixture into equal-sized portions on lined baking sheets. Space portions 3 to 4 cm apart.
- Bake 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cookie comes out clean.
- Remove cookies from the oven and leave on baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Cookies can be frozen and enjoyed later.