- 60 ml (¼ cup) mashed sweet potato*
- 20 ml (4 tsp) chia seeds
- 125 ml (½ cup) water
- 560 ml (2 ¼ cups) whole wheat flour
- 10 ml (2 tsp) baking soda
- 1 ml (¼ tsp) ground ginger
- 1 ml (¼ tsp) ground cinnamon
- 1 ml (¼ tsp) salt
- 60 ml (¼ cup) soft non-hydrogenated margarine
- 60 ml (¼ cup) sugar
- 60 ml (¼ cup) molasses
- 45 cranberries
- 8 pitted dates, quartered
- 2 baking sheets
- Small bowl
- Medium bowl
- Large bowl
- Electric mixer
- Wooden spoon
- Ice cream scoop
*Making the sweet potato mash
- Peel 2 small or 1 large sweet potato. Cut into cubes.
- Place the cubes in a pot of boiling water and cook until tender or until a knife slides in easily.
- Drain and place in a blender with about 60 ml (¼ cup) of water.
- Blend on low speed until smooth.
Making the bears
- Place rack in top part of oven and preheat to 350°F (180°C).
- Lightly grease 2 baking sheets. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine chia seeds with 60 ml (¼ cup) water. Set aside for 20 minutes or until gelatin forms.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream margarine, mashed sweet potato and sugar using an electric mixer.
- Stir in soaked chia seeds and molasses. Beat.
- Gradually stir in dry ingredients using a wooden spoon.
- Using an ice cream scoop, divide mixture into 15 cookies on baking sheets.
- Decorate cookies to look like bears.
- Use 2 date quarters to make ears and 3 cranberries for the nose and the eyes.
- Bake 12 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheets.
- Replace the water and chia seed mix with an egg. Be careful with egg allergies !
- Replace the dates with pecans. Be careful with nut allergies !
- Replace cranberries with raisins.
- Leftover sweet potato mash can be frozen and used in another recipe Oatmeal, chocolate and cranberry cookies.
Did you know…
- Accelerate the gelling properties of chia seeds by grinding them before placing them in water. This will cut the wait time down to 5 minutes.