Description and organisation
There are 4 parts to the activity:
- the first part is a treasure hunt. During the treasure hunt, which lasts between 45 minutes and 1 hour, the children get moderate to intense exercise by running to find clue-cards. Then they read the card and run to find the next location. Each card has the answer to a healthy lifestyle question which will be useful to them during the second part of the game.
- The second part consists of a game of “Jeopardy” (a questionnaire game). During this part of the activity, the children will be tested on their knowledge of healthy lifestyles choices, on the importance of keeping active, the 4 food groups, etc.
- The third part consists of regrouping the kids into teams of 4-6. Each team has to create a recipe with a budget of $3/child. A visit to the grocery store could be organized once the teams decide on their recipes, so that the children are able to obtain the ingredients they need.
- The fourth part is the meal preparation. The counsellors supervise the children in the kitchen. When the children have finished cooking, the judges allot points to different recipes based on criteria previously established (i.e. originality, taste, presentation, etc.)
- Physical abilities
- Developing awareness of healthy eating
- Discovering new foods and recipes
A time constraint could also be added during meal preparation
Introduce healthy lifestyle ideas through games and healthy competition.
- Trophies (optional)