Description and organisation
This activity combines healthy eating and physical activity while introducing campers to many new foods.
- Choose a recipe that uses healthy, original food.
- Pre-measure the ingredients. Use the corresponding Shape Up card for each food.
- Present the Shape Up cards in the order in which they go into the recipe to help the campers follow the steps. Make the rest of the equipment available to the campers. Be sure to explain how they are used.
- Get the campers to wash their hands with soap and water.
- Present each ingredient. Have the campers taste the more uncommon ingredients so they know the flavour before it goes into the recipe.
- Create 2 teams of 6 to 12 players and get them to form lines a good distance away from the table with the equipment. The players take turns running to the table and completing a step of the recipe. When they are done, they return to their team and tag the next teammate. Once all the ingredients have been combined, do a second round so each camper can make an energy ball.
- Time the teams. The team with the fastest time wins.
- Following a simple recipe
- Physical literacy
- Have the campers measure out the ingredients.
- Adapt the activity to the age and number of the participants.
Working as a relay team, the campers follow a recipe for a simple, healthy snack they can make at home while learning that eating healthy is fun and easy. In this case, they are making no-bake energy balls.
- “Magic Bullet” type blender
- Ingredients for the chosen recipe, in pre-measured quantities, for each team
- Shape Up food cards
- 1 spoon
- 1 baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- 1 table